Information Security is a competitive profession where having a few certifications can lead to career and salary advancement. The CISM (Certified Information Security Manager) credential is one of the newer information security offerings available and is granted by ISACA the same organization that issues the longstanding CISA exam. The CISM credential has quickly become one of the more respected general security certifications on the market but still lags the CISSP in recruiting clout and recognition.
CISM General Information:
- The CISM is a newer information security certification issued by ISACA (Information Systems Audit and Control Association)
- The CISM certification targets individuals that design, build and manage information security management programs.
- The CISM credential is still being established globally but is increasingly being seen on resumes of CISOs worldwide.
CISM Certification Requirements:
- Successful completion of the CISM exam
- Complete the CISM certification application
- Commit to upholding the CISM Code of Professional Ethics
- Adhere to the Continuing Education Requirements to keep your certification in good standing
- 3 or more years of Information Security Management experience (or equivalent waivers as applicable)
What is necessary to keep my CISM in good standing?
- Meet the continuing education requirements mentioned below
- Pay the annual maintenance fee
- Uphold your agreement to comply with CISM/ISACA code of conduct and ethical requirements.
What are the CISM Continuing Education Requirements?
The CISM is not a certification that you complete once and then your done for life. Continuing education is a must to the tune of 120 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits every 3 years, with a minimum of 20/yr. These requirements are very similar to the CISSP/CISA and other equivalent certifications.
What is the CISM annual maintenance fee?
CISM annual maintenance fees are $40 for members and $85 for non members. These are identical fees to the CISA annual maintenance.
When is the CISM exam offered?
Like the CISA exam, the CISM is also offered two times a year in June and December. Craft your study plan around one of these scheduled classes.
How much does it cost to register for the CISM exam?
Fees are the same as the CISA exam and listed below:
Early Registration Costs – $425 member/$565 non-member
Final Registration Costs – $475 member/$615 non-member